Location Attractions in Tullow and Carlow
- The Chocolate Garden of Ireland: is a chocolate and ice cream factory, which offers tours of the factory where you can sample handmade chocolate, hot chocolate, and ice-cream. The chocolate garden offers daily chocolate mould making, where you can decorate your own chocolate creation. Workshops are also held where you can learn all about Chocolate and ice-cream. The Chocolate Garden is sure to be a favourite with kids, they also have slides, sandpits, and other leisure activities in the play zones.
- The VISUAL Centre for Contemporary Art & The George Bernard Shaw Theatre: is a cultural gem in the middle of Carlow town and displays, local and international, contemporary art with free admission. This theatre hosts a diverse range of theatre, talks, and events. There is a free Make and Do space for families to sit and make art with the themes of the season exhibition.
- Delta Sensory Gardens: these scenic gardens consist of 2.5 acres of land, decorated by of the country’s top designers. Beginning as a centre for people with intellectual disabilities, it has now become one of Ireland’s leading attractions. The Delta Sensory Gardens also a craft shop, cafe and hosts events throughout the year.
- Carlow County Museum: offers guided tours about the rich history of Carlow. This includes everything from the ancient burial sites to the county’s landmark sugar factory. The museum also has a focus on more recent cultural achievements from influential personalities and Carlow sports clubs.
- Rancho Reilly: is the ultimate location for family fun. This Ranch in the Carlow countryside has everything your kids could possibly want. A pet farm, crazy golf, sunken trampolines and picnic tables, are just some of the many things in the outdoor area. The more easy-going, indoor area contains a soft area for children aged 3-11 and a comfortable coffee shop, with a burning stove so the adults can relax.
- Borris House: if you a fan of the Tudors then you’ll love the Tudor Gothic Mansion. Borris House was modelled after an 18th-century house and a former 15th-century castle, making it a landmark of Irish architectural history.
- Carlow Brewing Company: is one of the largest breweries in Ireland. After 100 years this brewery revived Carlow’s long tradition of malt and hop production. During the Carlow Brewing Company tour, you can meet the brewing team and discover Ireland’s wonderful craft beer history. The tour also includes the chance to taste and compare award-winning brews.
- Go with The Flow River Adventures: if you enjoy outdoor activities then this is the place for you. Go with The Flow Adventures has canoe fun for every level, this includes water rapids and a river safari.
- Rathwood Lifestyle & Garden Centre Tullow: is the perfect location to avail of a tasty lunch, a homemade dessert, a shopping trip, and a chance to treat the family. There is a gift shop and an extensive garden. The bird of prey center holds approximately thirty birds, while children will love a wonderful twenty-minute trip on the Rathwood train down through the woods, around the duck pond and back to the courtyard. The animal park and the adjacent woods are a great place for a stroll.
- Rathwood Forest Walks: Serene, tranquil forest walks, extending more than 4km, were carefully designed at Rathwood, County Carlow. The walks, a part of the Carlow Garden Trail, include a short, leisurely, wheelchair-accessible walk to a pond and a longer looped ‘Molloy Walk’ with seating at regular intervals. Joe Molloy was a local historian and farmer, who was involved in the first planting of the forest more than half a century ago. On a visit, expect to see deer, rabbits, mink, foxes, pheasants, and dragonflies among others. The forest contains a great variety of tree species including beech, oak, Sitka spruce, Norway spruce, birch, Douglas fir, and alder. Train rides around the forest are available from Rathwood.
- Altamont Gardens: The heavenly 16-hectare gardens of Altamont in County Carlow combine formal and informal gardens with a variety of flora. Strolling through the tranquil area, visitors will also find a lake and a river walk. An unmissable highlight of a visit to Altamont Gardens is the walled garden situated within the grounds of the estate and run privately by gardener and nurseryman Robert Miller.
- Altamont House: was built in the mid-to-late 1700s, but the main attraction here has always been the gardens, which sit on the banks of the River Slaney. Several the oak trees pre-date the estate considerable, estimated to be over 500 years old. The gardens include an ice age glen, bog garden, and arboretum, with views of the Blackstairs Mountains, Wicklow Mountains, and Mount Leinster.
- Brownshill Dolmen Settlement: in Carlow pre-dates written Irish history. The most notable prehistoric site in Carlow is Brownshill Dolmen, a megalithic portal tomb. Dating back to pre-historical times, the great dolmen at Brownshill has a granite capstone weighing over 100 tons, making it the largest of its kind in Europe. This magnificent capstone has excited the interest of many antiquarians and tourists down through the years and it is thought that religious rites, possibly even human sacrifice, were performed there circa 2500 B.C. It is believed to have been built by some of the earliest farmers in Ireland between 4000 and 3000 BC.
- Duckett’s Grove: is counted among the finest and most fascinating ruins in Ireland. The Gothic Revival-style castle was built and refurbished from a pre-existing Georgian structure in the 1830s for the Duckett family. After acquiring Duckett’s Grove in 2005, the Carlow County Council began an extensive renovation of the estate – primarily the walled gardens – and it was re-opened as a public park in 2007. Perhaps due to its dramatic history, Duckett’s Grove is also believed to be haunted and has been a site of investigation by the SyFy Channel show “Destination Truth.”
AT MOUNT WOLSELEY
ACTIVE RETIRED GOLDEN OFFER
2 Nights in a Deluxe Room Including a 4-course dinner on both nights from €139 P.P.S.
SUMMER FAMILY HOLIDAY
2 or 3 Nt Fun Family Holiday - Free use of the Leisure Centre, Playground & Kids Club.
25% OFF BED & BREAKFAST
Enjoy 1 Night in one of our beautiful bedrooms with A Full Irish Breakfast included. Best Available Price.
OF MOUNT WOLSELEY